Friday, 30 March 2018
Gothic Arch - Butterfly Entomology
My first gothic arch for a group swap with the theme of "wings". I used TIm Holtz distress oxide inks for the background and Crafty Notions fusible film and angelina fibres to make the butterflies for my Butterfly entomology gothic arch.
I used a piece of kraft card measuring 6 x 4 inches, shaped into an arch.
Tim Holtz distress oxides in:- wild honey, twisted citron, antique linen and lucky clover.
I gradually layered up my colours until I got the mottled background that I was looking for.
I decided to use a combination of the following stamps to background stamp my card:-
Visible Image music on, world off (ink splat) & mesh-ellaneous (distressed mesh)
wooden block red rubber border stamp
wooden block red rubber stitched square stamp
I found some info on butterflies which I printed onto cream paper and aged the torn edges with a little Tim Holtz vintage photo distress ink. This will make my centre topper for the arch. I also used some button (slightly translucent) washi tape and some gift wrap twine.
I used the stitched square block to stamp onto parchment paper using memento ink. These will form the plaques the butterflies will sit on.
Now the base for my entomology gothic arch has been put together, adding 4 enamel embellishments, all that's missing is the butterflies.
To make the butterflies I used some red rubber butterfly stamps (I think these were by Crafty Individuals), Crafty Notions fusible film in crystal aurora, angelina fibres in raspberry sparkle and a piece of baking parchment.
Add some fusible fibres and and place another layer of the film on top. Alternatively, make a sandwich of the film and fibres first and then place it on your inked stamp.
Place your folded baking parchment on top and using a warm iron ( I have a small iron I use just for crafting) press down for 5 seconds, lift an repeat, rather than running the iron along the stamp as you don't want to smudge your embedded image. This process is a bit of trial and error to gauge what works for you, so have a bit of a play first before creating your project.
I kept checking to see how well my butterfly film and fibres were fusing together whilst using the iron. As I wanted a more translucent look on the butterfly wings I only used a a small amount of the fibres, spreading them out between the film.
I cut my butterflies out and layered them up, using a little pinflair glue gel to stick them together in the centre. When the light hits them you get all the colours of the rainbow in an iridescent glow.
I used some pinflair glue gel to stick my butterflies onto my gothic arch. Im really happy with the outcome.
Adding this project to the That's Crafty - Spring into action challenge
Also the Mix It Up - ATG with a twist - create your own background
And Creative Artiste - ATG Mixed Media
My 2nd DT card this month is a Spring Easter card for Let's Craft and Create . A decoupaged posy of yellow flowers. ...
My DT card for the March Blog Challenge over on Daisy Chains is themed " Springtime " A birthday card with handmade daffo...
I'm sharing the card made for the Tattered Lace - Neo Victoriana shows on Create & Craft this week. There is something a little s...
Sharing some more ATC cards made for a swap using Vera Lane's digi stamps. The Kokeshi digi stamps were downloaded from the Etsy websi...